But I have to be completely honest with you, after few attempts in the kitchen making low carbs French Fries only few options cames out very well. Making crispy and healthy Fries is a real challenge.
The best low carb french fries: Swedes (also called Rutabaga). This is how it looks like a white and purple vegetable that looks very similar to turnip. Well, if you do not very well differentiate both it is ok as they both goes well for low carb french fries.
I never thought that this will be possible one day. Low carb and low calories French fries. Can you believe it? And as I baked them in the oven with only a bit of olive oil it does not contains bad fat and they are perfectly healthy. I baked them in a very hot oven fan grill mode (220C) and the result was just fantastic.
You have to dig into the plate very quickly as it is not fried by baked into the oven, it will soften after 15 minutes. But it was the best low carb French Fries I ate for long time and I just love it. I read that a turnip could give the same result
Low Carb French Fries
- 2 swedes, medium size
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs or dried oregano or dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Yoghurt dip
- 1/4 cup yoghurt of your choice (soy or coconut work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- A pinch of ground chilli to taste
- 1/2 juice of lime
- 1 small garlic glove, crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 220 C fan grill mode.
- Prepare the yoghurt sauce
- Place the yoghurt into a mixing bowl and whisk in the lemon juice.
- Stir in the ground paprika, chilli, garlic.
- Set aside in the fridge while you prepare the fries.
- Simply mix the yoghurt with paprika and chilli.
- Wash the rutabaga and using a sharp knife remove both ends. Discard.
- Peel the rutabaga and cut them into large rectangle fries like you will do for potatoes. Use a sharp knife as rutabaga is a tough vegetable very difficult to cut.
- In a mixing bowl, add the olive oil and spices. Combine until the mixture is darker.and well combined.
- Place the fries into a mixing bowl and pour the prepared oil onto the fries. Use your hands to massage the fries with the oil mixture.
- Place the fries onto a baking dish leaving space between each fries.
- Bake for 15 minutes then open the oven and using a spoon stir the fries to make sure they cook on all sides.
- Return to the oven for 10 more minutes or until golden, crispy outside but soft in the centre.
- Enjoy with the chilli paprika yoghurt sauce.